Thursday, July 23, 2009

Space and Stillness is Good for the Soul

"Space and stillness is the light that illuminates the beauty of our Souls being."-- Adyashanti

Imagine quiet and stillness....space to think...space to ponder on things without interruptions. How often does that happen for you? What would it be like to experience that kind of self-care?

Between I-phones, Ipods, TV, computers and the rest of the noise in our lives, space and stillness is a foreign concept for many of us. To balance our lives more, we're left to find our “space” in more creative ways. Have you ever stayed up too late, sacrificing valuable sleep, because it's the only time the house is quiet and you have some time for yourself? Or maybe it's been such a long time since silence was a part of your life that the idea of it makes you a bit uneasy.

I remember my experience on a 4 day schooner cruise last summer, which included no electronics of any kind-the boat didn’t even have a motor! I remember the restlessness I felt the first day. We’d had breakfast, the sails were up and we were underway. Now what? What do I do first? Read? Sleep? Journal? So many choices, so little time. I felt the need to actively relax.........actively relax.....isn’t that an oxymoron?

Before long, I was able to slow down and find a new rhythm for my day. I was able to truly relax which allowed me to live in the moment. I savored the quiet conversation, reading, napping or sitting on deck watching the waves and listening to the sounds of nature.

For me, the biggest thing I noticed, besides the fabulous food and beautiful scenery was how I appreciated the simplicity of our days. I had time to ponder my life, my priorities and appreciate what I have.

We all deserve those kinds of moments. Time away from your normal routine is a wonderful opportunity to stay connected to yourself, your values and your priorities. While you may not have the time or resources for an extended retreat, there are many ways to create mini-retreats in your day even if it's nothing more that taking 15 minutes a day to sit quietly in your favorite chair with a cup of tea or taking a quiet walk in your neighborhood.

Whatever way you choose to do it, my hope is that you find some way to create the stillness that can illuminate the beauty of your souls being.


This Is Your Life....Make it What You Want!

No comments:

Post a Comment