Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Courage-Exercise It for Personal Growth and Fulfillment

"Courage is very important. Like a muscle, it is strengthened by use."-- Ruth Gordon

At some time in your life, especially when you are feeling overwhelmed, out of balance or unfulfilled, you may ask yourself questions like,

Why didn’t I……?
Why did I…….?
If I had only…..?

These questions are very common and unfortunately, they are not very helpful because they usually involve guilt, remorse or regret. Just thinking about them makes me feel a bit deflated.


If you’re looking to find a more balanced and fulfilling life, more empowering questions would be,

How do I want to be?
What‘s on my bucket list-what have I always wanted to do?
What can I do to be my life?

These questions lead you forward toward something new. Saying them aloud brings more energy, doesn't it? Taking action after responding to those questions will move you in the direction you want in your life.

Then of course when you start thinking about trying new things, stretching your boundaries, moving into new territory what comes up? FEAR! ANXIETY! OVERWHELM! And of course, a new set of questions,

Can I do it?
Isn’t it too late?
Isn’t it foolish?

What do you need to get past the fear and anxiety? Ask the lion in Wizard of Oz……COURAGE!

The lion believed he was a coward because he was scared, but in reality he just needed the right motivation! Helping his dear friend, Dorothy was motivation enough move past his fear and stand up to the Wicked Witch of the West!

What’s your motivation? What’s important enough to move you past the fears?

Start small and slowly build up your courage muscle. If you’ve ever lifted weights, you know you don’t start with heavy weights, you start small and work your way up, and if you have trouble, a spotter or coach will help you when the going gets tough.

I challenge you to go back to the second set of questions above, choose a lightweight goal and begin strengthening your courage muscle.. As you progress, feel free to ask for assistance. As a coach, I’m happy to “spot” you whenever you need it….all you have to do is ask!

Then go rent the movie, Wizard of Oz and check out the song, "King of the Forest" by the Cowardly Lion...I LOVE that song!!

This Is Your Life....Make It What You Want!




No comments:

Post a Comment